Thursday, May 29, 2008

Memorial Day

On Monday we had a nice day. We had a BBQ with everyone here and Owen & Emily came out to play with us for the day. That evening we drove to Boise. The guys were going to go to some speedways to watch cars race, but it was rained out, so we all went to Owen & Emily's to watch a movie. We had a nice time. During the day I did reflect a bit on what I used to do a youngster on Memorial Day. I miss those times. We had nice family gatherings at the different cemeteries in Central Utah. We would put flowers on the graves and then we would chat with our cousins and learn the stories of those ancestors who's graves we were visiting. We would then go back to our grandparents and have a nice family dinner. I think that all too often now, people don't take the time on Memorial Day to remember those who have gone before us. It's a nice tradition that I would like to do with my children, so that they have an appreciation for their ancestors, and grow to love them.

3 comments:

The Rasmussens said...

Hey guys!! Your dad sent us the link to your blog. We are so excited. We sure miss you. Please visit our blog when you have time. Hope to see you this summer! Love you guys

Salmon Tolman Family said...

How long does it take you to get to Boise? I loved your reminiscing about Memorial Days gone by. I feel like you do, that most people don't really acknowledge or appreciate what the day is for anymore. It's so awesome that you want to give your kids the same great traditions you had!

http://www.comoobtenerelcuil.com.ar said...

House was robbed the other night and they took my net book! Thank god iv my black berry :)