Sunday, July 5, 2009

Independence Day Celebrating

On Thursday we went to the Vale, Oregon Suicide Horse Race
I had never gone to the race before, but I had heard a lot about it. The riders come down this steep mountain trail. There were only five racers. I thought there would have been a lot more, but I quickly learned why there aren't so many.

A horse went down, going end over end. From where we were, it looked like the rider was run over by the horse coming down behind, but he was ok, so I'm guessing the horse missed him. After this moment we never saw the white horse again. We saw the vet and others working on him up there, but we never saw the horse. My guess is that it didn't turn out well.

Here is a picture of a rider coming past us and toward the water which they go through, and then on into the stadium.


Me with Chase and Trey at the 4th of July Breakfast in Adrian.

I had to take a picture of Chase in front of his new school for the fall. This is the new Adrian Elementary school. This will be it's second year of use. Lucky Chase gets a new school.


In the afternoon of the 4th we hiked up to Jump Creek with the boys and our friends Jake and Emily and their boys. It's such a nice little waterfall and pool. Now, that I look at it the water is kind of dirty looking, but it really is pretty, and you wouldn't think that there would be something like this out in the middle of the desert.

Here's me and Emily in the water. It was a little cold at first, but once you got wet it wasn't so bad.

The boys at Jump Creek playing in the water.

There was a guy there jumping off the rocks. I thought he was a little crazy, but it made for a neat picture and he didn't die, so that's good.

After swimming we all came home and had a BBQ. We fried stuffed bacon hamburgers, corn on the cob and more. Yum!

The boys on our trek up the mountain. We drove up the butte behind our house to watch the fireworks all through out the valley. It was pretty exciting!

We didn't quite make it all the way to the top, but we still had a really pretty view. I had made some strawberry shortcake, so we ate that as we sat and watched the fireworks. We really had a nice time.

No comments: